Let’s Grow (STEAM)x Youth Career Expo Mock Interview Tips
Sponsored and hosted by Goodwill Industries and the Columbus Department of Labor
Job interviews can be challenging, as we know. Communicating with confidence takes practice. That’s why mock interviews are one of Let’s Grow STEAMx Youth Expo’s most valuable learning opportunities.
Area HR and career professionals will offer mock interviews at the Expo. These volunteers work with students and offer positive, constructive feedback that will help students for their next “real” interview albeit a job or college admission. Volunteer career professionals will also hold mini-workshops on effective job interviewing and securing a summer job.
*High School Students Only
Need advice on interviewing? See our tips below.
Common interview questions
- Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
- What are your goals in the next 2-3 years, and how do you plan to achieve them?
- What do you consider to be your strengths, and why?
- Describe a time when you faced a challenge at school and how you handled it.
- Why should I hire you?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Interview tips for students
- Make sure you’re at your best for the interview. Get a good night’s sleep, eat a good breakfast and brush your teeth.
- Keep in mind the importance of a first impression. Make sure you’re dressed appropriately.
- Bring a copy of your resume.
- Use your best business manners. Give a firm handshake and wait to be asked to take a seat. Once you’re seated, sit up straight and try not to fidget or wiggle. Avoid: scratching, adjusting your clothing, touching your face, twirling your pen and playing with your hair.
- Make lots of eye contact to convey honesty and confidence – but remember, it’s not a staring contest!
- Exude professionalism. Pay attention to the interviewer and be self-confident, polite and articulate.
Let’s Grow (STEAM)x Youth Career College Student Q&A & Mini Session Information
Sponsored and hosted by Columbus State University, Columbus Technical College, Fort Valley State and Albany State Universities Student Government.
The Let’s Grow STEAMx Youth College and Career Expo is an exploration of science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematical educational and career options in an exciting youth event. The annual expo is a highly visible youth event that provides opportunity for engagement and exchange between youth and local/regional career professionals. This year we’ll have the pleasure of highlighting entrepreneurship.
The Expo mini-sessions are introductory youth career essentials and will take place every hour, starting at 10:00 am, in the Sycamore Rooms, located in the mock interview area. Students are welcome to “drop in” as space permits, with priority given to schools that have signed up for sessions. These alternating sessions are an excellent option for students to gain a fresh perspective on what is needed to be successful in college and career.
*Gear-up Students and High School Students Only